Kitchen or Workspace Cabinets: Replace or Refurbish?
What are some of the most frequented and quickly worn down pieces of furnishings in your home? Believe it or not, it’s your cabinets! Many times without realizing it, we run down cabinet spaces and doors a lot faster than we may think. Opening, closing and shuffling around in them up to 20 times a day! The question is: what does the constant wear and tear mean for you? Well no doubt you want to keep your home or work space in the best possible condition, even though perhaps aged, never looking run down or ragged.
You may be asking yourself, should I just spruce up my cabinets as a quick DIY (do it yourself) project? Or are you perhaps among the many homeowners that have already decided to fully replace their cabinet spaces and are ready to get a free estimate for cabinet replacement? Let’s briefly examine both scenarios…
DIY project/Refurbish: What’s to know?
- Cabinet structure. Are the bases of the cabinets still sound and in good shape? When you gently push or pull on the boards do they snap, crackle and pop? Or are they still pretty firmly set in place? Obviously, if they are still sturdy, you have nothing to worry about and can think about how to make small changes as opposed to huge ones.
- Establish the purpose of your refurbish. Decide what you intend to get out of the project. Are you simple looking for a design change for day-to-day use, or are you updating a bit so you can sell your home? These are factors that can help determine the extent of your project.
- Consider affordable, budget friendly options. And what exactly are those options? Maybe just repainting the cabinets, updating the hardware (handles, hinges, etc), or simply replacing the doors. All of which will be easier on your wallet than a full-on cabinet replacement.
- Spend no more than 25% of the value of your home. This includes labor for demolition and installation. Abiding by this rule will ensure that you’re both adding to the value of the home, and won’t end up putting more money on renovating then you will get out of it should you sell your home in the near future.
- Hire a skilled professional. Many people underestimate the skill needed to install cabinets such as making sure they are leveled correctly with the floor, walls and ceiling. Also, should the use of power tools come into play, using such things as a table saw and nail gun could be dangerous. In that case, you’ll want to get a free quote for cabinet installation.
- Get more than one professional quote. If you’ve decided to hire a professional, it’s smart not only to research what the going rate is for cabinet replacement, but also to get two or more quotes from your local Pro, so as make sure you’re getting the most competitive price.
Of course circumstances vary and projects differ, but refurbishing or replacing your cabinets fully can be the much needed change to your kitchen or work space that will provide a refreshing variation that you and your family have been looking for in your home decor. Why not take that first step today and get a free estimate from a local Pro for cabinet replacement?